... Pierogies...

...doughy pockets of love, ok that might just be my definition because my pierogies were always made by my grandma (aka Mom-Mom) or my mother.

We made three standard varieties; blueberry, cheese, potato.

Spencer and I ventured into Eastern European Cooking over the weekend.  My contribution to the meal was my first attempt at making our family recipe for pierogies.


Lis, Dohn, Cody, Hill Family Pierogie Receipt: 
**as told to my mom by my mom-mom
  • 2.5 cups flour
  • 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons boiling water
  • 1 tsp. vegetable oil 

Place flour in a large bowl.  Add water and oil slowly, stirring constantly with fork until mixture is crumbly.  Let stand until cool.

Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until soft and smooth.

Cover dough with the bowl.  Let stand 15 minutes.

Divide dough in half keeping the other half covered with the bowl.  Then shape into a roll about 12 inches long.  Cut into 12 pieces (may be a little less than 12 depending on how you cut them).

Roll each piece on lightly floured surface to 5 – 6 inch round.   Repeat with remaining dough.

Fill and seal.  When sealing the dumpling wet one side so they stick. 

Drop dumplings 3 – 4 at a time in large saucepan of boiling salted water.   Add a little oil to the water so they don’t stick.  Stir gently so dumplings do not stick to pan.   Cook 3 – 5 minutes.  Remove with slotted spoon.  Place in serving dish 
 Place melted butter over them.


Cheese Filling:
Combine chunk style cottage cheese (large curd) ¾ lb. with ¼ large size cream cheese (softened) and ½ large egg or one medium egg, salt & pepper.

Blueberry Filling:
Fresh blueberries with a small amount of sugar.   Too much sugar and they will be too juicy inside.






*Lis - My Great Grandmother's Married Name
*Dohn - My Grandmother's Married Name
*Cody - My Mother's Married Name
*Hill - My Married Name

No comments:

Post a Comment